Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Quilt for baby

I just spent the last month at my parents house. It was a nice break from my own. While I was there I decided I had better make the baby a quilt or it might never get done. So here is a bit of a look at what goes into a "Rolling Stone" quilt. As always (but not posted here) I draw out what I want as far as the finished product. And as always I learned a lot while making this quilt. I decided to go with 9 inch blocks. 4 across and 5 down. I also did my blocks "on point". That is when you take the block and rotate it 45 degrees. So the block is then standing on its point. Well one thing I did not take into account was that when you do an "on point" quilt the blocks reach across farther. So instead of one block being 9 inches across it ended up being 13 inches across. Therefore making my "baby" quilt way bigger than I had planned.

Lets begin:
take 512 of these cute triangles
 Sew them onto the sides of 128 of these squares
 And you then have these "new" squares.
 Next take a stack of these colorful rectangles and sew them together to make more squares
 And now you have most of your block ready to assemble

Don't forget to fussy cut all your little bugs.
And lay them out how you want them.
And take a picture so you don't forget how you want them.

Now you can sew together the strips.
But be aware which way your bugs face and what color they face.
It does make a difference.
In between all this sewing be sure you are ironing your seams as well.

Now you may begin to sew your strips into blocks.
Again be aware as to what colors you are sewing together and that you sew them on the right way
Now your blocks are assembled, go iron them and lay them out with the bugs facing the direction you want and the right colors touching.
Yes I sewed it all together (including the orange triangles and then decided it was just to big to be a "baby" blanket.
So I unpicked it where I wanted it and it became smaller.
However if you look closely at this picture you will see that I made a big mess-up.
None of the same bug blocks are to be touching at any part.
Somehow in the sewing the strips together part I switched some strips to the wrong side.
Both my Mom and Hubby said let it be no one will notice.
But I will notice, every time I looked at it I saw my mistake.
So whats a quilter to do?
Unpick it and do it over.
I did not have to unpick the whole thing. I just took half of it off and redid the bugs as far as that I had already taken off to make it smaller and what I had in the section I took off to redo.
Now for the finished product!!
All bugs fixed and it is way cute. Even the binding is on.
Backed with Cuddly Minky fabric.
Nice and soft for baby.








1 comment: